Monday, March 17, 2008

2008 AL Predictions

Inspired by The Wayward O's series, I thought I'd weigh in with my predictions for the 2008 season. I won't be as detailed as Wayward O but I wanted to get them on the record.


AL East

Boston
New York
Toronto
Baltimore
Tampa Bay

I just don't see a lot changing here. Boston and New York will both be relying on young pitching this year but New York more so. Toronto probably doesn't have the lineup to make the move to second place but if the Yankees pitching staff suffers injuries, they could sneak in there. I don't think that the Orioles will be any worse and I'm the only man in America who doesn't see where this quantum leap in Tampa is going to come from, especially with Scott Kazmir injured and Rocco Baldelli out indefinitely.


AL Central

Detroit
Cleveland (WC)
Minnesota
Kansas City
Chicago White Sox

Detroit clobbers the AL with the best lineup in baseball. Cleveland takes a small step backwards but should still be able to secure the Al Wild Card. Minnesota (and Delmon Young) surprise and will be much better than anyone thinks. Kansas City improves a wee bit but Ozzie Guillen gets fired midseason as the White Sox implode.


AL West

Anaheim, LA, whatever
Seattle
Texas
Oakland

Angels youngsters get better and most balanced team in the league takes the West. Mariners make it interesting but run out of gas. Texas is rebuilding but is ahead of Oakland in that process with the crop of players they got in return for Mark Texiera. Billy Beane or not, the A's will have major growing pains this season.


Tomorrow, the NL.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your predictions are pretty much in line with what I agree with. I think Tampa will not finish in fifth, however.

As well, I think Kansas City finishes last (again), but will cross the 70 win plateau.

AL West is pretty much as I expect...

DempseysArmy said...

Tampa is massively overrated this season. I've heard all about their young talent before with no real results.

Conversely, Baltimroe is getting written off without consideration and I don't think they'll be any worse this season.