Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Alfredo Simon Denied Bail

Alfredo Simon has been denied bail and will remain jailed in the Dominican Republic. Simon is currently charged with manslaughter.

The 29-year-old pitcher is expected to stay in jail for a year while officials investigate a fatal shooting on New Year's Eve...

Defense attorney Dinosa Dilone said she plans to appeal the ruling.

"We think the judge acted in such a way to avoid a reaction from the media," Dilone said. "There is already forensic evidence that Simon's weapon did not cause the death of the victim."

A judge had earlier ruled that Simon could be held for up to a year pending trial. Simon could face up to two years in prison if convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

The Caribbean country's legal system allows for preventive detention.

When this story broke a month ago, I declared that Simon would not be back for the beginning of the season. This pretty much guarantees that Simon will not be with the Orioles at all in 2011. If ever.

No comments: