Wednesday, March 21, 2007

3 Bench Players?

Is anyone else disturbed by the notion that Sam Perlozzo is considering breaking camp with 13 pitchers? That leaves 3 bench players in case you are mathematically challenged. So the regulars will be:

Huff
Roberts
Tejada
Mora
Payton
Patterson
Markakis
Gibbons
Hernandez

With the bench being:

Gomez
Millar
Bako

Really? This is a recipe for success? Hopefully, he just means to carry 13 until he can hash out who the 12 should be, maybe for a couple weeks? I thought 12 would be too much.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Crazy. I bang my head with this team sometimes.

I guess it reinforces you can never have too much pitching, but it's counter productive to a team, don;t you say?

DempseysArmy said...

I understand Guthrie is out of options and they don't have a second lefty they are sure on. So you would carry, Guthrie, Walker, Bradford, Baez, Ray, Williams/Parrish, Williamson? That's 12 right there (still alittle pitching heavy I think...)

Most of these guys still have options, who would be the 13th?

Anonymous said...

A shallow bench with a pitching staff that has MAJOR question marks doesn't bother me that much in April.

None of the starters need regular rest in April, so the bench shouldn't be a factor. Plus you get to have the extra pitchers in Baltimore to decide who really deserves the spots in May and beyond.