Monday, April 27, 2009

Top Five Hitting Streaks in Oriole History: Part 1

Nick Markakis has a 13 game hitting streak, only four games short of his career high. And that got me thinking about who holds the all-time record for hitting streaks in Oriole history.

First, who else has had 17 games hitting streaks like Markakis? Cal Ripken did it three times. The rest of the list includes no real surprises; Al Bumbry, Paul Blair, Ken Singleton, Broroks Robinson and Luis Aparicio, all guys who were either great hitters or good hitters with speed. Only Gene Woodling, who was 37 in 1960 during his 17-game hit streak, is kind of an outlier.

So who's at the top of the list? You won't get it if I gave you 10 guesses. And he has it by a large margin.

So take your guesses in the comments section and I'll reveal the list in the morning. I'll admit, I had no idea who it was until I looked it up.

No comments: